Date: 7/8/18 3:17 pm
From: Fred Atwood <fatwood...>
Subject: interesting birds in Grant Co
Not much time so just a quick report:
This AM I heard the Chuck-wills-Widow at North Mill Creek Rd as reported by
others. It called about a dozen times just as the sky started to lighten.

From there I went to Dolly Sods Bear Rocks where everything was as normal.
There were 19 yellowthroats (13 singing) at Bear Rocks and the nearby boggy
area.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47063957

Then I decided to explore the meadows along Ridge Rd and Brick School Rd
between Maysville and Hogueland Rd.

ALong Ridge Rd between 42 and Hogueland Rd I found another DICKCISSEL
singing. Also SIX Blue Grosbeaks scattered at most of my stops along the
road and an adult Bald Eagle flying overhead.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47067165

I had been hoping for Vesper sparrow, but was disappointed until I checked
out Brick School Rd where I found THREE VESPER Sparrows singing in the same
spot.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47067158

Sorry for the quick report but I've got to eat supper quickly. I want to
get back to Bear Rocks to see if the Nighthawks are displaying there again
this year.

All the best
Fred Atwood
Cabins, Grant Co, WV