Date: 7/8/18 12:35 pm
From: Bob Fisher <BFisher928...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET DBC Saturday field trip Swainson's yes, kites no
Our annual trek  to check for Swainson's  in Kane and the 'Rockford' kites batted .500. We got poor but identifiable looks at a lone Swainson's in the AM (as an aside, one of our group may have gotten some  pix of a Red-winged Blackbird perched on the head/back of a flying Redtail, pecking at the raptor as the latter bird was carrying some sort of prey item - a fledged but now doomed baby blackbird? - back to a nest). We also had seen the Swainson's stoop on possibly the same Redtail a little earlier.

Then it was a trek up to NW Rockford to Anna Page and Searls Parks, where Mississippi Kites have been seen on occasion this season. We found good lookout vistas at both parks, but the skies were empty of kites while we were there. Our most exciting 'bird' was a very close and loud military jet flyby as we passed the Rockford airport.

We stopped again at the AM Swainson's spot on our way home in the afternoon.. This time we got better, closer and sustained (scope) views of 1 Swainson's, with a 2nd briefly joining the first and soaring in tandem
Regards
Bob Fisher
Downers Grove
DuPage County