Date: 7/8/18 12:04 pm
From: Glenn d'Entremont <gdentremont1...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Intriguing nighthawk report from Cape Ann
Below showed up on ebird alerts. It seems unlikely to be inaccurate, so could there be breeding nighthawk in a remote area of Cape Ann? This bird nests on the ground and likes dark surroundings, so if a fire occurred in one of the remote areas leaving scorched earth there could be nesting going on. After the major fire in the Myles Standish State Forest in 1957 nighthawks began nesting and I had a bird in July in 1983 calling.

I think this is too early for fall migration.

Anyone have any ideas of potential sites?

Glenn

Common Nighthawk (Chordeiles minor) (1)
- Reported Jul 04, 2018 19:30
- Private Residence, Quarry St, Lanesville, Essex, Massachusetts
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.6633479,-70.6586578&ll=42.6633479,-70.6586578 http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.6633479,-70.6586578&ll=42.6633479,-70.6586578
- Comments: "Distinctive. Making "beer" call. Long wings. Seen previously on this property several months earlier. White wing patches."

Glenn d'Entremont: <gdentremont1...> Stoughton, MA

Join us on Facebook!