Date: 7/8/18 11:37 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Palos-Spears Woods (Never Give Up!) Sunday 7-8-18
Hello Bird People,

Was going to go to Montrose for shorebirds but I saw on ebird that
Suzy D had a Yellow Throated Warbler at Spears Woods. Since everyone
who wanted that species had probably already seen it in the Doug Stotz
back yard I figured few would be looking for it & no one was there
when I arrived.
Looked for 30 min but no Warbler was seen or heard. Next I decided to
try for Summer Tanager at the only place in Palos where I hadn't
looked yet which was where Wes Serafin told us to look last year near
95th Street which you can walk to from the Spears Woods parking lot.
Did the walk & looked & listened for the Tanager but no Tanager was
there. Things were not going very well to say the least. But on the
way back things improved.

Walking back & listening to many Eastern Pewee's. Eastern Towhee's ,
Blue Jays, Catbirds, Field & Song Sparrows & Indigo Buntings I stopped
for one male Eastern Bluebird which was the only fairly interesting
bird I had so far. Then I found one Red Headed Woodpecker & then 2
followed by one PILEATED WOODPECKER & then 2. Well no day with 2
Pileated Woodpeckers is a bad day!

Back to the Spears Woods parking lot & tried again for the Yellow
Throated Warbler. But now I could hear it singing or at least I
thought I could but it was near the road & was mostly drowned out by
traffic so I could not be sure. Spent the next hour trying to find
this bird but could only "sort of" hear it singing. But I hate "heard
only" birds & will go to great lengths to see the bird. Finally I had
to admit that it was "heard only" or nothing when the YELLOW THROATED
WARBLER showed itself making me very glad I kept after it so long. It
hopped around silently for a few minutes & then went farther away &
started singing again but as it was now away from the road you could
hear it better & there was no doubt as to what I was hearing. But I'd
already seen it so that didn't really matter. But another miracle was
to come.

Walked back to the car to leave when I saw a red bird in a tree but I
had already seen a Cardinal or 2 in the lot & figured that's what it
was. But it was NOT a Cardinal. It started singing a very
Un-Cardinal song but that's as the red bird was a male SUMMER TANAGER!

So after thinking I had failed on all my targets it turns out I was
successful on both.
Never Give up!

Bird-Of-The-Day will be a tie between the Yellow Throated Warbler &
the Summer Tanager as I had worked long & hard (in different ways) to
see them both.
Runner-Up to the 2 Pileated Woodpeckers which normally would have been
top bird, not today

Al Stokie
In the Palos area of Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>