Date: 7/8/18 11:17 am
From: Jim Berry <jim.berry3...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Fwd: eBird Report - Parker River NWR--Nelson Island, Jul 8, 2018
Parker River NWR--Nelson Island, Rowley
Jul 8, 2018 8:25 AM - 11:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments: I birded Nelson I. proper, all the way to the end, for the
first time since Feb. 2013 -- 5 1/2 years ago! I couldn't believe I
hadn't been on the island in so long (as opposed to birding from the
parking lot), but my ebird records don't lie. I found it little changed
except for the dirt road that follows the south side of the island out
to the clam flats. That road was no more, and was reduced to a
single-track trail that was almost overgrown with vegetation. It looked
as if the Rowley clammers had abandoned it, but I find it hard to
believe that they would abandon their only access to those flats. By
copy of this list I'm asking Nancy Pau if she knows what is going on
there. Also found some good butterflies, including 4 monarchs -- there
is a LOT of milkweed on the island -- and 8 Baltimore checkerspots, the
first of that species I have seen in several years.
33 species

Mallard 11
American Black Duck 3 all 14 ducks flew off the small pond on the
island
Double-crested Cormorant 5
Great Blue Heron 3
Great Egret 23
Snowy Egret 8
Glossy Ibis 4
Osprey 2 One on a nest platform out in the marsh, but the platform
on the island was blown away (or possibly removed) a couple years ago.
Least Sandpiper 2
Greater Yellowlegs 4
Willet (Eastern) 14
Herring Gull 4
Least Tern 3
Common Tern 1
Northern Flicker 1 not seen
Willow Flycatcher 5
Great Crested Flycatcher 1 Heard calling from direction of Sawyer's
Island
Eastern Kingbird 1
Tree Swallow 500
Bank Swallow 2
Barn Swallow 3
Tufted Titmouse 1
Gray Catbird 2
Northern Mockingbird 1
European Starling 9
Cedar Waxwing 3
Common Yellowthroat 1
Saltmarsh Sparrow 3
Song Sparrow 13
Bobolink 1 Just a lone female; no males seen or heard. It seems
early for them to have completed nesting and moved on, but that could
have happened. Or, they might have not used or barely used the island
this year.
Baltimore Oriole 2
Red-winged Blackbird 60
American Goldfinch 8

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47070923

Jim Berry Ipswich, Mass. <jim.berry3...>

http://www.avg.com

Join us on Facebook!