Date: 7/8/18 9:34 am
From: Roy Lowe <roy.loweiii...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Bald Eagle vs. (un?)Common Murre
Not all interactions involving bald eagles and seabirds are predation events, some are scavenging. I took this photo yesterday at the mouth of Alsea Bay. The adult eagle from a nearby nest picked up this carcass of a large pelagic cormorant chick from the beach. Judging by the newly erupted primary feathers from their sheaths the cormorant was probably about a week away from fledging when it fell out of the nest under the Alsea Bay Bridge. One dead chick feeds another.

Oh and regarding puffin predation by eagles, I’m aware of two events at Haystack Rock in Cannon Beach. One in front of a horrified group of school children that had been watching the puffin. A good natural history lesson once the trauma subsided.

Roy

> On Jul 6, 2018, at 9:29 PM, Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:
>
> Last weekend at Haystack Rock, Canon Beach, I got the attached photos that I thought might
> be unique. they weren't. Roy Lowe & others have similar.
>
> https://www.opb.org/news/article/bald-eagle-comeback-pressures-coastal-seabirds/ <https://www.opb.org/news/article/bald-eagle-comeback-pressures-coastal-seabirds/>
>
> Most birders know that the increasing population of Bald Eagles is seriously disrupting
> breeding of (still)Common Murres. But reports indicate that their breeding lifetime is
> 15 years so the real effect may not yet be seen.
>
> https://www.outdoorproject.com/blog-news/common-murre-bald-eagle-interaction-oregon-coast <https://www.outdoorproject.com/blog-news/common-murre-bald-eagle-interaction-oregon-coast>
>
> https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Oregon_Islands/wildlife_and_habitat/murres_and_eagles.html <https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Oregon_Islands/wildlife_and_habitat/murres_and_eagles.html>
>
> I observed that murres still outnumbered Tufted Puffins by 15-20x in terms of birds flying back and forth
> to nests on Haystack Rock. The latter are perhaps more immune to eagle disturbance
> since they nest in burrows rather than the open cliff face and likely are not pushed into flight by
> marauding eagles.
>
> Bob OBrien
> Carver OR
>

> <BAEA&COMU.jpg>