Date: 7/8/18 5:46 am
From: Rebecca Suomala <rsuomala2...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Cannon Mt. field trip
A big thank you to Amanda Kallenbach for organizing a Capital Chapter
field trip up Cannon Mt. and making arrangements for our group to take
a special early tram at 7:30 am. We had the mountain top to ourselves
until the tram officially opened at 9:00. Zeke Cornell and I led the
group of 30 with thanks to other experienced birders on the trip who
helped spot things on the narrow trails.

It was a spectacular day with fantastic views. We listened for birds
as we stopped at the various towers for the crew to do their daily
inspection. This gave a chance for a few folks to see a bear on one of
the ski trails.

We heard Bicknell's Thrush and some in the group were lucky to have a
sighting. Blackpoll Warblers were singing and visible at times. An
adult and two juvenile White-winged Crossbills feeding near the summit
building were a highlight. Most of our birds were heard, but not
easily coaxed into view. We suspected birds were being particularly
secretive because they were feeding young. Notable by their absence or
scarcity were Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Magnolia Warbler, and
Swainson's Thrush. White-throated Sparrows and Dark-eyed Juncos were
most numerous and singing constantly.

The full eBird list will eventually follow.

Becky Suomala,

Concord, NH

--
To Change your e-mail delivery settings (digest, daily, no mail)
visit: