Date: 7/7/18 4:35 pm
From: Steven Tucker via Groups.Io <talkingtrees80=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Redhead with ducklings at Don Edwards NWR
Hi birders,
I poked around Don Edwards NWR this morning for a bit. Some southbound shorebirds but not many yet. Best find was a worn Redhead hen on A16 toting around 5 mostly grown ducklings, which I subsequently found a photo of in the eBird checklist below by Louise Lou, under "duck sp" from June 29:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46910423

I took some additional photos today but they were much further out from shore. Not sure what their breeding status is in the county but it took me by surprise.
The Mute Swan was still on A16, and a mockingbird singing next to the education center parking lot threw in some Black Rail calls a couple of times.
Good birding,
Steve TuckerSan Jose