Date: 7/7/18 3:37 pm
From: Bill Sheehan <bill.j.sheehan...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Northern Maine: Southbound shorebirds
I spent a couple hours paddling around the northern end of Portage Lake
this morning. I was looking for breeding birds for the Atlas
<https://www.maine.gov/ifw/fish-wildlife/maine-bird-atlas/index.html>.

There were several jillion Swamp Sparrow fledglings, Ring-necked Ducklets
and some stripe-headed grebe juvies among other confirmed breeders. I
found the Bobolinks that breed in this natural sedge and shrub marsh quite
numerous. Most were flycatching the big "green drake" Mayflies that were
hatching along the inlet stream and then flying the bugs immediately back
to their nests.

The cool breeze seemed quite lovely after the heat of the past few days,
but apparently the cold front brought a few early "fall" migrant shorebirds
down from Canada. I spotted several Lesser Yellowlegs and one Greater
Yellowlegs feeding out on the "floating islands".

Here's my list: https://ebird.org/atlasme/view/checklist/S47053533

Bill

--
Bill Sheehan