Date: 7/7/18 2:24 pm
From: Jim Berry <jim.berry3...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Fwd: eBird Report - Donovan Reservation, Hamilton, Jul 7, 2018
Donovan Reservation, Hamilton
Jul 7, 2018 8:05 AM - 10:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments: I took my nephew Geordie Comnas walking at this beautiful
Greenbelt hilltop property. We missed several species (bluebird, indigo
bunting, willow fly, blue-winged warbler, warbling vireo, etc.) but the
weather was perfect.
34 species

Great Egret 1
Herring Gull 2
Mourning Dove 3
Chimney Swift 2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Hairy Woodpecker 2
Eastern Wood-Pewee 1
Eastern Kingbird 2 Feeding young (in nest?) in large oak. We
couldn't see either the nest or the young, but the adults carried food
to the same spot in the oak multiple times.
Blue Jay 1
Tree Swallow 80 The sky had many at all times. My best estimate.
Barn Swallow 6 at barn near parking lot
Black-capped Chickadee 3
Tufted Titmouse 4
White-breasted Nuthatch 5
House Wren 1
Carolina Wren 2
Wood Thrush 3
American Robin 6
Gray Catbird 15
European Starling 25
Cedar Waxwing 1
Ovenbird 1
Common Yellowthroat 8
Yellow Warbler 1
Chipping Sparrow 2
Song Sparrow 7
Eastern Towhee 9
Northern Cardinal 3
Bobolink 3 For some reason the males had utterly stopped singing
today, and we saw only 3 flying birds where they had been plentiful in
previous walks.
Orchard Oriole 5 Family group of an ad. male, an im. male, a
female, and at least 2 kids. (I'm convinced that this sp. uses helpers
at the nest, based on experience seeing both an adult male and an im.
male feeding young in the same nest. The BNA account confirms this
practice, though barely mentioning it because the authors knew of only 4
instances of it. I have seen feeding by two males--one an immature--at
least once and have seen im. males apparently helping at the nest or
with fledglings several times.)
Red-winged Blackbird 10
Brown-headed Cowbird 2
American Goldfinch 24

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47046969

Jim Berry Ipswich, Mass. <jim.berry3...>

http://www.avg.com

Join us on Facebook!