Date: 7/7/18 1:43 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan, Illinois Beach South, State Line Beach & Techny North Saturday 7-7-18
Hello Bird People,

Today Bob Erickson & I were supposed to meet Jeff Reiter at Waukegan
in the hopes of finding the
European Goldfinches that are sometimes (but not always) present. Jeff
is going to write an article on the Goldfinches & maybe get some
photos for the article. But we were lucky today as at least 5 European
Goldfinches were on the wires by the Waukegan parking lot & later we
had 4 more by the nesting site by the resort at Illinois Beach which
Eric Walters has been telling us about. So, mission accomplished on
the European Goldfinch front.

Waukegan Beach (6:15-7:30 a.m.)

Other birds here included Killdeer (3), the 2 wandering Piping Plovers
back on the gravel lot, Spotted Sandpipers (2), the usual Gulls &
Common (8) & Caspian (7) Terns. One male Brewer's Blackbird was
visiting from the Illinois Beach nesting area. The Common Terns seem
to be happy with their nesting situation so far.

State Line Beach (c. 8-8:20 a.m.)

Only birds here were Killdeer (2), Ring Billed (150) & Herring (11)
Gulls & Caspian Terns (5).
Of the 5 Caspians one was a young bird which was the 1st young one
I've seen this year.

Illinois Beach South Unit

On the beaches were Canada Geese (12 & 2), Mallard (5), Killdeer (6),
Spotted Sandpiper (2),
BONAPARTE'S GULL (1), Ring Billed (145) & Herring (7) Gulls, Caspian
Tern (8), Barn Swallow (2),
Crows (5) & 1 female Brewer's Blackbird. One Turkey Vulture flew by.

Techny North Of Willow (noon-12:45 p.m.)

Stopped here on the way home & saw D.C.Cormorant (2), Great Blue Heron
(3), Great Egret (1),
Black Crowned Night Heron (2-AD & 2-IM), Canada Geese (24), Mallard
(~20), Wood Duck (4) & a heard only Red Tailed Hawk. Also a few Barn &
Rough Winged Swallows & the Robin that likes the mud flats was again
there.

Shorebirds were Killdeer (up to 36), Spotted Sandpiper (18), Lesser
Yellowlegs (1),
Solitary Sandpiper (up to 5) & Least Sandpiper (down to 4 from 13 last time)

I guess since our special project today was European Goldfinches & we
had them at both Waukegan & Illinois Beach then they can be the
Bird-Of-The-Day. Runners-Up to the Bonaparte's Gull & the 2 Piping
Plovers. It was a pretty good day today!

Al Stokie
Mostly in Lake County with one stop in Cook County

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: