Date: 7/7/18 1:35 pm
From: janna pauser <jannapauser...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Spotted Sandpiper juv.
Today I started birding the Guadalupe River trail north of Coleman where
I had an adult COMMON GALLINULE with a red bill in the cattails north of
the Coleman bridge.  It was seen in the same location on my return,
leading me to believe the basic plumage COGA I reported on 6-30 could
have been a fledgling. It's behavior was unusual as it flew up and
remained high in the cattails. Looking west across the Guadalupe River I
found a SPOTTED SANDPIPER which was seen again later.

At Almaden Lake I heard several SCALY BREASTED MUNIA near the bathrooms
upon my arrival and again on departure. There were two SPOTTED SANDPIPER
adults on the small island near the pedestrian bridge where I have seen
them for months. An adult CASPIAN TERN and a COMMON MERGANSER family
were also here. In previous years the tern had a single chick by its
side but not today. An adult GREEN HERON flew to the shore but I have
not seen any fledglings this year. At least seven HOODED ORIOLES, a
BLACK HEADED GROSBEAK, PACIFIC SLOPE FLYCATCHER and WARBLING VIREO were
mostly heard only. I found a BLUE GRAY GNATCATCHER in the Pepper trees
where I found its nest on 6-24. A WRENTIT was a surprise on the west
side of the bridge today. A female GREAT TAILED GRACKLE flew to the
north west end of the island with food repeatedly. Another female and a
male were foraging for food in garbage cans. The island was speckled
with white SNOWY and GREAT EGRETS.

Next I birded the nearby SCV Water District headquarters where I ran
into Ann Verdi. Together we looked for the Spotted Sandpiper seen
earlier, hoping for offspring. On the south end of the property behind
the gate we found a fuzzy mostly gray SPOTTED SANDPIPER chasing after an
adult. It was exactly a year ago today that I found and photographed an
adult and juv. SPSA here. Today's bird looked very young perhaps days
old. Years ago Ann taught me the value of patch birding and I continue
to bird local. Ann will report the water district birds but I might add
that I came across another WRENTIT, which was seen here by Ann on an
earlier date.

Janna Pauser
San Jose