Date: 7/7/18 10:46 am
From: <bruce919...> [cobirders] <cobirders-noreply...>
Subject: [cobirders] Help! Nemesis Bird Has Me (almost) Beat
Hello Fellow Birders,

I’m a Southeast Arizona birder visiting Denver relatives for 5 weeks and still have 2 weeks to go. I’ve got one target bird, the Dusky Grouse, and it is now the most challenging nemesis bird I’ve yet run across. I’ve looked for it 14 different days at State Forest State Park, Mount Falcon County Park and Reynold’s Ranch County Park.

I’ve held off asking for help as long as I thought prudent, but I’m beginning to think this might not happen without help.

I HAVE read as much as I could find on this species. Most of my searching has been from 5:30 to 9:30 a.m. but I’ve also looked at midday and in the late afternoon. I’ve concentrated on somewhat open coniferous forests, forest edges and have scoped-out any meadows I’ve come across. I’ve mostly hiked slowly and quietly on trails.

Any hints you can give on location or technique would be greatly appreciated. I can travel and camp anywhere in CO and am a relatively strong hiker. If you’d rather PM me, my email address is: <bruce919...> mailto:<bruce919...>, or text at (520) 266-2256 or we can talk.

I’m kind of at my wit’s end, especially because every now and again I meet folks on the trails who have bumped into a grouse.

Thank you for any help,
Bruce Berman
<Bruce919...>

Sierra Vista, AZ