Date: 7/6/18 10:04 pm
From: Leith McKenzie <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender loinneilceol for DMARC)
Subject: [obol] Re: Photo: Need help on identification
My first reaction to the picture was Dunlin.  That can't be right, but I think it's closer than any other species.  I see it larger than a peep.  Dark feathering of the upperparts is not explainable as a known species or known hybrid.  Underparts appear to be stunningly white and unstreaked which fits nothing either.  I think the bill looks better for Dunlin better than anything else.  If I was free, I would put in some time to relocate this bird, as it may be important to science.  My intuition is that DNA would show the parents are Dunlin, but expressed in a novel phenotype.

 Date: Tue Jul 3 2018 8:40 amFrom: photojleonard AT gmail.com I was at Taverner's Marsh along Coville Rd. ("The Narrows") at Baskett Slough NWR yesterday and photographed this young bird. I need help with identification. It was larger than a sandpiper. The water is getting low so some shorebirds are showing up. I photographed a Western & Least Sandpiper and some Greater Yellowlegs. Click on link below for photo. Thanks for your help. Photo by Jim Leonard.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/arDn...

“Each of us is in truth an idea of the Great Gull and an unlimited idea of freedom.”

Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Join us on Facebook!