Date: 7/6/18 9:29 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Bald Eagle vs. (un?)Common Murre
Last weekend at Haystack Rock, Canon Beach, I got the attached photos that
I thought might
be unique. they weren't. Roy Lowe & others have similar.

https://www.opb.org/news/article/bald-eagle-comeback-pressures-coastal-seabirds/

Most birders know that the increasing population of Bald Eagles is
seriously disrupting
breeding of (still)Common Murres. But reports indicate that their breeding
lifetime is
15 years so the real effect may not yet be seen.

https://www.outdoorproject.com/blog-news/common-murre-bald-eagle-interaction-oregon-coast

https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Oregon_Islands/wildlife_and_habitat/murres_and_eagles.html

I observed that murres still outnumbered Tufted Puffins by 15-20x in terms
of birds flying back and forth
to nests on Haystack Rock. The latter are perhaps more immune to eagle
disturbance
since they nest in burrows rather than the open cliff face and likely are
not pushed into flight by
marauding eagles.

Bob OBrien
Carver OR