Date: 7/6/18 9:02 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Ducks get around (the country, the world)
A couple of amazing posts from Tweeters in WA state. The Chuwuch River is
in north central Washington,
a little south of the Canadian border. Bob OBrien Carver OR

The banded Harlequin male I saw far up the Chewuch River was banded as a
chick in 2012 in the upper MacDonald Creek area of Glacier National Park.
He was most likely headed to the coast.

Interestingly, the researcher said two of her Harlequins were observed on
Lake Erie and the ATLANTIC ocean!!

Libby Schreiner
Hal Michael <ucd880...>
8:36 PM (15 minutes ago)
to merdave, tweeters
When I was taking Gamebird Biology in college the prof had a neat story
about Long-tailed Duck migration. He said that a pair on the wintering
grounds then returned
to where the female was hatched. The example he gave was a male, hatched in
Alaska. Wintered off the Pacific Coast, traveled with his mate to Hudson's
Bay.
Wintered off of Cape Cad, met a new female and went to Iceland. Then
wintered in Europe and went north to Scandinavia.
Eventually, he ended up back in Alaska having not only circled the globe
but brought genetic variation to a lot of populations.

Join us on Facebook!