Date: 7/6/18 8:48 pm
From: Hal Michael <ucd880...>
Subject: Re: [Tweeters] [Fwd: Banded Harlequin]
When was taking Gamebird Biology in college the prof had a neat story about Long-tailed Duck migration. He said that the pair on the wintering grounds and then return to where the female was hatched. The example he gave was a male, hatched in Alaska. Wintered off the Pacific Coast, travelled with his mate to Hudson's Bay. Wintered off of Cape Cad, met a new female and went to Iceland. Then wintered in Europe and went north to Scandinavia. Eventually, he ended up back in Alaska having not only circled the globe but brought genetic variation to a lot of populations.

Hal Michael
Science Outreach Director, Sustainable Fisheries Foundation
Olympia WA
360-459-4005
360-791-7702 (C)
<ucd880...>