Date: 7/6/18 1:09 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Chicago Botanic Garden Friday 7-6-18
Hello Bird People,

Didn't do complete coverage at the Botanic Garden but did do the mud
flat area & the B. Brown area
as I was mainly looking for shorebirds & waders. So it's not a long
list of birds but it's complete as far as what I saw.

Chicago Botanic Garden (7:15-9:45 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (1 in a tree & 3 fly-bys)
Great Blue Heron (3)
Great Egret (1)
Green Heron (1)
Black Crowned Night Heron (3-AD at the B.Brown pond & 1 at the mud flats)
Canada Geese (~25)
Mallard (8)
Wood Duck (about 40, young & old mostly at the B.Brown Pond)
OSPREY (1-AD flying over hunting)
Killdeer (11)
Spotted Sandpiper (6, that's 2 spotted adults & 4 unspotted young ones)
Least Sandpiper (2, the only migrant shorebird)
(The mud flats are back but not very extensive as of yet)
Herring Gull (1-AD fly-by)
Caspian Tern (3 on the mud flat staging area)
Mourning Dove (4)
Eastern Kingbird (1)
Purple Martin (10 at the east side nest box & 4 at the west side boxes)
Tree, Cliff & Barn Swallows with most being Barn
Robins (10-12)
Gray Catbird (2)
Song Sparrow (3-4)
Red Winged Blackbird (~10)
House Finch (2 singing)
Goldfinch (2)
House Sparrow (6)

I think Bird-Of-The-Day will be the Osprey who was being dive bombed
by a Red Winged Blackbird.
And Runners-Up to the Black Crowned Night Herons & the Green Heron.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: