Date: 7/6/18 9:05 am
From: Bill Thurman <bill.masterofmusic...>
Subject: The Firebird
I went out and celebrated yesterday . . . possibly a day late, but for a
variety of reasons (feelings)
I bought a CD, a copy of Igor Stravinsky's, The Firebird (premiered in
1910 for the ballet of S. Diaghilev) in Paris, France. The legend of The
Firebird comes from Russian stories and old tales, but the idea of a 'bird
of fire' that dies and comes back to life comes from centuries before,
mainly from Old Persia and Old India, long before the much later Russians
got a hold of them.
The recording is by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra with Pierre Boulez
conducting. I bought it for one dollar. I hadn't owned a copy since the old
LP I had from back in the 60's. College days.
Yes, and I had plenty to celebrate about yesterday, July 5th, 2018.

Bill Thurman

Join us on Facebook!