Date: 7/6/18 4:50 am
From: Barber, Patricia <patbarber...>
Subject: FW: lesser black-backed gull telemetry
Although Lesser Black-backed Gulls are primarily considered an old world species, PA has long been recognized as the center of the wintering range in North America. We don't know where our birds go during the breeding season which is very unusual for a species in North American. There is only a single new-world breeding record, a male nested with a herring gull in Maine in 2006 and 2007. To help answer the question of where our lessers go during the breeding season and to learn more about their movements, the PGC with the help of numerous volunteers and partners attached telemetry units to adult gulls. We're currently tracking them by satellite. So far 5 gulls have traveled to Greenland and maybe settling in to breed, while 3 gulls remain in eastern Canada. You can learn a bit more about the project and see their movements at , http://www.pgc.pa.gov/Wildlife/Birding/Pages/default.aspx. In addition, a few birds received standard USFWS bands, that happen to have been painted green. The paint will wear off very quickly but if you happen to see one please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks,

Patti
Patricia Barber
Endangered Species Biologist