Date: 7/5/18 9:40 pm
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Over Summering Scoters
That looks like an October flock, not early July.

Alan Contreras
Eugene, Oregon

<acontrer56...>

www.alanlcontreras.com

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 9:36 PM, Roy Lowe <roy.loweiii...> wrote:
>
> Today, I was admiring the fortitude of the common murres that are making a go of it this year on Colony Rock at Yaquina Head despite eagle predation. While observing the murres I noted 4 flocks of surf scoters totaling ~125 birds rounding the corner of the headland heading south. Due to the flight path I assumed this was local movement rather than a migration along the shore. I then glanced to the northeast of the lighthouse and saw a huge raft of scoters. I estimated more than 1,000 birds rafted up about 1/2 mile north of the head and 1/4 offshore. There was no feeding going on. I shot a few photos and when I got home I decided to see if I could count the birds individually by dotting them as I had done counting murres for several decades. The long distance and quality of the photo made it a bit challenging but I think I’m within +/- 30-40. The total number of birds in the photo by my count is 1,531 and there are nine more just off the photo frame. Add to that the 125 t
hat departed prior to the photo and that totals 1,665 scoters give or take a few. All the ones that flew by at close range were juvenile surf scoters and I imagine most of them if not all are juvenile surf scoters, but who knows what may be hanging out in that flock.

> Attached is a photo of the flock on the water and the second photo shows my dots, er bird count.
>
> Roy
>
> <RWL_6089.jpg>
>
> <RWL_6089count.jpg>
POST: Send your post to <obol...>