Date: 7/5/18 6:15 pm
From: John Oshlick via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Black-throated Blue Warbler Songs
Last month there was some discussion about how BT Blue warblers can sound
like Cerulean Warblers. I was up at Nipmunk State Park today and I had 4 BT
Blue warblers singing a song that sounded like Cerulean.

I recorded two birds and placed the recordings in my checklist.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47014599

The BT blue is more buzzy and BT blue-like in the beginning even though it
is 3 part and cerulean like at the end.

I think that it was mentioned in the past that this could be some form of
regional variant common to our local breeders (or a variant song more
commonly heard by birds on territory). It is possible that we hear it less
in spring as many of the birds are passing through to parts north and lack
this variant.

- John Oshlick