Date: 7/5/18 4:49 pm
From: Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Am-White Pelicans
American White Pelicans are among the more extreme commuters. When I
started birding in the early 70s the only Oregon colony was on Pelican Lake
in the Warner Valley. The nesting adults would fly daily to Malheur Lake.
Not as arduous for them as for us perhaps. They gain altitude by soaring in
thermal updrafts, then glide for miles without beating a wing. Only the
Condor has a greater wingspan. Last summer I saw a flock of pelicans
soaring above the mouth of the Snake--Forks-of-Columbia so to say. A
Swainson's Hawk joined the kettle, where it looked like a Starling in
comparison.lpn

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 3:10 PM Joshua Galpern <jgalpern17...> wrote:

> I just had about 57 White-Pelicans fly over my house in E Eugene. They
> probably came from Fern Ridge, because they headed back that way. Seems
> like an unusual bird so far from a body of water.

Join us on Facebook!