Date: 7/5/18 2:19 pm
From: Laas Harvey <hlaas...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Eurasian collared dove population crash?
Here on the ranch have only seen Eurasian collared doves sporadically ever. I have never had more than 2 around since first seeing one here 8 or 9 years ago. I have some years where I never see one on the ranch. I only put out bird seed from mid November to mid May. They are more common in other parts of Waller county either in the towns or around grain storage and some of the more dense rural housing sites. The decline in Inca doves is definitely pronounced for a number of years there were always at least two pairs around the house and I would see them sporadically elsewhere on the property. The birds around the house disappeared about 6 years ago. And since then have only seen singles somewhere on the property every few years. I saw two Inca doves in late Spring this year which were the first ones anywhere on the ranch in several years. They were in the one pasture for a couple of days haven't seen them since. Common ground doves have increased over the last ten years. Hav!
e gone from rarely seeing them to having at least a 5 to 7 pairs scattered around the ranch year round. WW doves are interesting here. Are generally common in the county, but here on the ranch are basically none existent until late June and then some years will have really large numbers (high hundreds at one time) in July and August. Then in mid August most will disappear when the corn harvest starts. I have yet to see a single one so far this year. Mourning doves have stayed pretty consistent over the years with yearly ups and downs.

Harvey Laas
10 miles N of Brookshire
4 inches of rain yesterday, so wet for July

http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!