Date: 7/5/18 12:12 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Techny Basin South, Air Station Prairie, Techny North & Heritage Park Thursday 7-5-18
Hello Bird People,

Big news for the day is at the end & has nothing to do with birds.

Techny Basin Proper (7:30-8:30 a.m.)

No big mud flats yet so shorebird habitat is limited to the edge of
the stream & shorebirds themselves were limited to Killdeer (3),
Solitary (1) & Spotted (5) Sandpipers. Also had 1 D.C. Cormorant
flying by & 5 Great Blues & 2 Great Egrets. Flying around were 1 Ring
Billed Gull & 3
Caspian Terns. Mixed in with several Barn Swallows were Rough Winged
(4) & Cliff (1) Swallows.
The only land bird of interest was 1 Eastern Kingbird.

Air Station Prairie (8:40-9:10 a.m.)

Both ponds are too high for there to be shorebirds but along the edges
were 2 Killdeer. Added Tree Swallows here & heard a Marsh Wren sing
but only once & not for long. Highlight here was when I heard a single
note call which I'd never heard before which turned out to be coming
from a VIRGINIA RAIL. Then it walked to the right & I heard the same
one note call from the other direction which proved to be another
adult VIRGINIA RAIL. Maybe it was a warning call to the young but I
saw no young? Very interesting!

Techny North Of Willow (9:20-10 a.m.)

They are clear cutting all the vegetation which they do every year &
it's mostly thistles & nasty plants but it certainly looks bad when
they do it. Again shorebirds were Killdeer (24), Spotted Sandpiper
(15), Solitary Sandpiper (2) & Least Sandpiper (up to 13). Also here
were D.C. Cormorant (3), Great Blues (4), Great Egret (3), Canada
Geese (42) & Mallards (~25). Hunting the area were 1 Ring Billed Gull
& 6 Caspian Terns. A couple of Rough Winged Swallows flew by & 1 Robin
was on the mud flat. Yesterday Amanda T had a Lesser Yellowlegs here
but not today at least when I was here.

Heritage Park In Wheeling (11-11:35 a.m.)

By the stream were Killdeer (4), Spotted Sandpiper (2), R.B Gulls (2)
& Barn Swallows.
On the soccer fields were 5 R.B. Gulls & by the large pond were D.C.
Cormorant (4), Great Egret (2), Canada Geese (33), Mallards (27), Ring
Billed Gulls (57) & Caspian Terns (9).

Bird-Of-The-Day must go to the 2 single note calling Virginia Rails &
Runner-Up can go to the single
Cliff Swallow which I think is new for me at Techny Basin.

But the big news of the day is a license plate. On a side street in
Evanston fairly near Perkins Woods I saw a VERMONT plate which
completes all 51 U'S. plates (includes D.C.). So now I can do the 2nd
half run of plates without having one plate from the 1st run to worry
about. And also now I can stop whining about not finding it & everyone
can stop hearing me whine.

Al Stokie
Close to home in Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>