Date: 7/5/18 11:51 am
From: Herb and Sarah Myers <hesemyers...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Canaan Valley NWR Freeland Road, Jul 5, 2018
This morning on my way to the Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge
visitor center, I stopped and did a fairly quick count at the Freeland Road
boardwalk of the refuge. I was impressed with the number of Common
Yellowthroats. As another birder pair there said, "They were everywhere."
There were also a lot of Red-winged Blackbirds. The Bobolinks are now
silent as were the flycatchers except for one Willow Flycatcher that flew
up and scolded me. I could only identify it by its call. My eBird count is
below.

While at the visitor center a man and a boy came in. They had a bird
question. They had hiked the HooDoo/Moon Rocks Trails along Camp 70 Road
with their dog. At the rocks, a "swallow-like bird with white bars on its
wings" had flown up. They felt it might be trying to distract them from its
nest. When I showed them a picture of a Common Nighthawk in Kaufman's Field
Guide to Birds of North America, they exclaimed, "That's it!" They were
excited - as was I as I don't usually get such good descriptions of unknown
birds to help identify. Herb Myers, Harman, Randolph County from Tucker
County