Date: 7/5/18 9:50 am
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Fwd: Birds fishing in the surf
Hi -

Ospreys along the coast commonly fish in the ocean, in or just beyond the surf. In the past 2 weeks several Ospreys from nests near lower Yaquina Bay have been fishing between the jetties and off the adjacent beaches.  I have been able to identify several of the fish they have caught.  All but one were Jacksmelt, lengths 8-14 inches.  The other was a surfperch, but I am not sure which species.

Belted Kingfishers commonly fish in the estuaries, but fishing off the beaches is much less common, in my experience.

Wayne