Date: 7/5/18 9:24 am
From: Craig Repasz via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Red-breasted Nuthatch - RFI (CT!)
We could see a Red Breasted Nuthatch interruption this fall and winter. Last year was a mast year for red spruce and balsam fir in Northern New England and Canada. This year there is little to no cone mast. They will probably make their way south in search of food.

Craig

Date: 17 June 2016
From: ctbirds AT lists.ctbirding.org

I heard a Red-breasted Nuthatch call a couple of times at Stratford
Point today. First from the white pines along the driveway and then
from inside the "Coast Guard strip". I never saw the bird. I'm calling it a probable and probably won't ebird it since immature White-breasted can sometimes sound similar, but this sure sounded like an RBNU. Maybe others will have some, as they sometimes show up early in advance of irruption years (hope hope).

Patrick

Patrick M. Comins, Director of Bird Conservation, Audubon Connecticut ==========================
Subject: Red-breasted Nuthatch Stamford
Date: Sun Jun 26 2016 17:28 pm
From: ctbirds AT lists.ctbirding.org

26 June 2016 - this morning there was a Red-breasted Nuthatch loudly vocalizing and seen well at the corner of Shippan and the drive to West Beach in the spruce grove on that corner. It is my 3rd sighting of RB Nuthatch in southern areas this month. Also at West Beach this morning was an adult Orchard Oriole perched atop a tree located directly over the shack in the first parking lot. It has been at this location for three consecutive mornings, reliably at 0600-ish.

Brenda Inskeep in Stamford
=============================
Subject: Red-breasted Nuthatches - Central Park, NYC & NYBG, Bronx
Date: Tue Jun 26 2018 11:40 am
From: dallenyc AT earthlink.net

Red-breasted Nuthatches - Central Park, NYC & NYBG, Bronx Tuesday, June 26, 2018
OBS: Robert DeCandido, PhD

Prompted by the discovery of a Red-breasted Nuthatch in the Central Park Ramble Sunday Morning (June 24) with a photo posted on twitter by @jian_birdcp (see https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fbirdcentralpark&data=02%7C01%7C%7C60e4187929564a166f7c08d5dc303b5a%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636657022060063144&sdata=RaeAjwgoP9FV4Bc5eFT6vmJmFz26QgR84E2KuTgFEUE%3D&reserved=0 for details), Bob found at least three Red-breasted Nuthatches today in the extensive conifer plantings at the NYBG in the Bronx.

The last time Red-breasted Nuthatches appeared in NYC this early was in 2016, when we found two on Saturday June 25 at NYBG in the Bronx on our Saturday morning bird walk. The following day, Sunday June 26, again on our bird walk, Jeff Ward found one on the east side of the Ramble in Central Park

That same week in June 2016, others had previously reported seeing early arriving Red-breasted Nuthatches in New Jersey as well as Connecticut on their respective state lists. Autumn 2016 proved to be an irruption year for Red-breasted Nuthatches until mid-October when the numbers of birds reported declined significantly in our area.

Twitter, particularly the different alerts for each NYC borough, has been invaluable in getting immediate information out to interested persons - and has helped birders to communicate with each other in real time. Thank You to David Barrett for setting up these alerts.

There does not appear to be any correlation between irruptions of Red-breasted Nuthatches and irruptions of winter finches, as this
2005 post from the Delaware list points out:

"Probably the greatest year for winter finches was 1969-1970, which was also a good year for Red-Breasted Nuthatches. 1977 was another good winter finch year, but there were almost no RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES found. 1982 was a good year for RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH, but there were only PURPLE FINCHES in the area. Despite all efforts, there doesn't seem to be a correlation between invasion years for RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES and winter finches. You can get this information from looking at Christmas Count Data."

Bob also found fledged Cedar Waxwings this morning at the NYBG.

Deb Allen

Follow us on twitter @BirdingBobNYC & @DAllenNYC

For subscription information visit https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Flists.ctbirding.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fctbirds_lists.ctbirding.org&data=02%7C01%7C%7C60e4187929564a166f7c08d5dc303b5a%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636657022060063144&sdata=711XD3XWp27zjOPD5CtTENW1dt4B%2Br%2BekOqasdpL6lY%3D&reserved=0