Date: 7/5/18 9:06 am
From: Brent Ortego <brentortego...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Eurasian collared dove population crash?
In 2014, I sort of went birding for Eurasian Collared-Doves. I took a vacation to the Dakotas to see the prairie pothole region which is the major waterfowl and grassland bird production area for the U.S. I drove north by traveling on I-35 and U.S. Hwy. 281. I found EUCD in every town I passed through until I found a couple of small communities in N. Dakota that did not appear to have any, yet. Impressive mid-continent dispersion of this species.

I have been looking at dove numbers on CBCs because populations appear to be changing. With all the discussion as to what is in our back yards, lets look at the numbers we helped produce at a state-wide level on the CBCs.

For this summary I looked at the last 15 years of data and broke them into three 5-year segments. The numbers reported will be the total for each 5-year segment.

Rock Pigeon = 155,072 208,652 177,865

Eur. Collared-Dove = 19,333 37,483 42,432 Population expansion appears to have slowed during last 5 years

Inca Dove = 11,351 10,764 7,860 Population was well below average during each of the last 3 years.

Com. Ground-Dove = 4,597 4,537 2,875 Population was well below average during each of the last 3 years.

White-tipped Dove = 781 922 902

White-winged Dove = 86,232 110,169 150,858 Population is still expanding.

Mourning Dove = 172,791 174,913 166,211

Birder participation has increased most years through this period. If a population was stable, the count numbers should be experiencing a small increase in conjunction with the annual increase in birder effort.

Brent Ortego
Texas CBC Editor