Date: 7/5/18 6:34 am
From: Josh <opihi...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Incredible pelagic eBird report
Hi Eric and all - Yeah, I was contacted off-list by someone who would know confirming that the “Black-capped Petrel” photo in that eBird checklist is indeed a Great Shearwater. I had that fleeting suspicion last night but haven’t seen an actual Pterodroma in a couple of years, last summer’s BBC pelagics having been cancelled by bad weather. Then his tropicbird photos, especially the three in one frame, blew me away.

I’ve never seen a Barolo, so can’t judge from his photo, but the fact that he’d report two of those, and not a single shearwater of any of the more abundant species, does strike me as fishy now.

I’m going to use late-night posting, sleep deprivation, and possibly after-effects of July 4 fireworks as my excuse...

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose, Ph.D.
Amherst, MA
http://bugguide.net/user/view/2399
https://www.facebook.com/opihi

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:02 AM, Erik Nielsen <erikbogh...> wrote:
>
> It sure is an amazing report. Let’s hope the camera has a GPS embedded and that it was enabled. It would be nice to be able to confirm that all the Tropicbirds truly were in MA waters.
>
> To me the Black-capped Petrel looks like a Great Shearwater. I also don’t see why the Barolo pictured isn’t an Audubon’s and the Band-rumped not a Wilson’s.
>
> Erik Nielsen
> Westwood, MA
>
> http://flickr.com/photos/erikbogh/ <http://flickr.com/photos/erikbogh/>
>
> On Jul 5, 2018, at 00:51, Josh <opihi...> <mailto:<opihi...>> wrote:
>
>> Hi MassBirders,
>>
>> Skimmed the state’s daily summary of rare bird reports from eBird just now, and there’s a report from offshore that is just mind-boggling. The species list is hard to believe, except maybe from one of the BBC overnight trips, and numbers of at least one species even more so, except that he’s got really amazing photos! For his location he says “Bermuda to Portland transit;” he estimates 180 miles for eBird, and it’s a wee bit longer than that from Bermuda to Portland, so I guess this was just the part of the trip that was in MA state waters. Not sure which boat he was on, but I want a ticket... Check this out:
>>
>> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46988064 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46988064>
>>
>> Good birding,
>>
>> Josh

Join us on Facebook!