Date: 7/4/18 6:47 pm
From: Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Timber BBS
We finished with 44 species, which I imagine is average. My home is 3 miles
east of stop 15, situated in very similar habitat. The yard list stands at
90 after 25 years of fairly steady observation. I can't think of any
egregious misses today. Purple Martin and Common Nighthawk were sort of
bonus species. What are the most abundant breeding species on the east
slope of the Coast Range? The following species were those detected at 10
or more stops, number of stops on left, total individuals on right.
29 Swainson's Thrush. 73
28 Robin. 52
26 Pacific Slope Flycatcher 38
22 Wilson's Warbler. 32
20 Evening Grosbeak. 28
18 Warbling Vireo. 28
18 Western Tanager. 23
15 Pacific Wren. 22
14 Hermit Warbler. 19
11 Chestnut-backed Chickadee 16
10 Raven. 12
So there's the most detectable species. Only 5 stops had Junco, but I
suspect they were present at all 50. Is it getting late in their nesting
season, so they've stopped singing? I don't know. I swear I've seen
fledglings on the valley floor in July many times. Golden-crowned Kinglets
were only detected at 2 stops. They are hard to hear, and fully a quarter
of the route was on Hwy 6 with abysmal traffic noise. Ravens were probably
nearly a complete count. Their calls carry far and they spend the early
hours patrolling pavement for roadkill and litter. Chestnut backed
Chickadees seem under represented for such woods. As with kinglets, the
faint nature of their voices is a factor. There were many more Evening
Grosbeaks than counted. I never saw one, and often counted one when more
were probably there. Crossbill is arguably a miss. I heard a Douglas
squirrel along Hwy 6, a sound I associate with autumn. When I got home
there were two fresh cut green cones of the Douglas-fir lying beside the
patio. A drizzly day, this 4th of July has the undeniable kiss of fall.
Should the clouds unfold I expect to see California Gulls moving high over
head in their purposeful but relaxed westward trek.
60 percent of the stops with Swainson's Thrush seems low actually, and
Pacific Wren strikes me as similarly under represented. With those signs of
fall, perhaps a dampening ardor. I didn't get visual confirmation on a
single Hermit Warbler, nor any of the putative Black-throated Gray Warblers
detected at 5 stops. Hard to say what was really there. Orange-crowned
Warblers at 4 stops seems almost absurd. What if the survey had been done
June 4th? I'm guessing most of them may be off territory now. Anyone want
to chase a possible Townsend's Warbler? It was singing west of
45.72898302N,-123.29656901 about 5:30 this morning(29097 Timber Hwy). The
Common Nighthawk was booming over a fresh clear cut only a few 100m south
of Hwy 26 on the same Timber Hwy. This is 40 minutes from downtown
Portland. Lars

Join us on Facebook!