Date: 7/4/18 5:51 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Birds & Bugs Big Day (Mississippi Kite, Carolina Saddlebags, etc.)
Today, Jane and I did our sixth annual 4th of July "Birds & Bugs Big
Day" where we attempted to see or hear as many species of birds,
dragonflies and butterflies as we can in a single day.  Once again, not
an all-out effort, but still managed to give it our all from about 5:30
AM to 5:15 PM.  We covered JUST extreme southeastern NH including the
coast, pease tradeport area, parts of Lee and Durham, Newmarket, and
barely into Exeter.  Past attempts have found such rarities as Western
Kingbird, Pacific Loon, Taper-tailed Darner, and Variegated Frittilary!

We had an average day for birds with 96 species.  The coast was so-so.
Highlight was our first southbound (fall) migrants....right on schedule
including Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs.  Only a single species of
scoter offshore, and no surprises expect for a flock of Glossy Ibis.  A
MISSISSIPPI KITE in Newmarket was also very nice to see, and quite a
surprise since it was perched in a snag in a neighborhood where we
hadn't seen any in the past.

Dragonflies were pretty good.  Nothing terribly rare, but the Carolina
Saddlebags was nice to see again and the Cyrano Darner was fun to watch
as it patrolled a pond in Rye.

AGAIN.....Butterflies were few and far between....similar to past
years.  Seems like the coastal section of the State is not a very good
place to find butterflies at this time of year!

Weather was mostly hot and sunny all day with light winds. Temperature
peaked at about 94F, but generally mostly in the upper 80's and low 90's.

Totals from today and past years in parentheses.

Birds - 96 Species (94, 99, 106, 97, 105)
Canada Goose
Wood Duck - Just one for the day.
Mallard
Common Eider
White-winged Scoter - Just 1 on coast and no other scoters.
Common Loon - Only a couple on coast.
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Green Heron
GLOSSY IBIS - Nice flock of 12 over Hampton salt marsh
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
MISSISSIPPI KITE - 1 perched off MOCKINGBIRD LANE (off Hersey Lane) in
Newmarket.  Appeared to be a male.  I've never heard of reports in this
specific area, but not all that far from Huckin's Road. Need to recheck
this area.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/42300178455/in/dateposted/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/42485504914/in/photostream/
Broad-winged Hawk - 2 in Newfields
Red-tailed Hawk
AMERICAN KESTREL - 1 juvenile near nest box off Lee Hook Road in Lee
PEREGRINE FALCON - 1 flew over Hampton marsh and landed on water tower.
Virginia Rail - 1 at Great Bay Discovery Center
Piping Plover - 8 on Seabrook Beach including one late nest with 4 eggs
in it.
Killdeer
Spotted Sandpiper - Several at Exeter WTP.....but no sign of Common
Goldeneye that has been hanging out this summer.  :-(
GREATER YELLOWLEGS - 6 total on coast.  New southbound arrivals for me.
Willet
LESSER YELLOWLEGS - 4 total on coast.  New southbound arrivals for me.
Bonaparte's Gull - Perhaps 8 total on coast.  All 1 year olds.
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Least Tern
ROSEATE TERN - Just one with Common Terns in Hampton harbor.
Common Tern
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Barred Owl - 2 off Rail Trail in Newmarket in mid-afternoon.
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird - 1 male DOING DISPLAY FLIGHT WITHIN 20 FEET
OF US off Newmarket Rail Trail.  Did this for about 20 seconds and then
perched.
Belted Kingfisher
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker - 2 off Worthely Road in Seabrook
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Willow Flycatcher
Eastern Phoebe
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue Jay
American Crow
Fish Crow - One near Bicentennial Park in Hampton
Common Raven - Juveniles calling incessantly near cell tower (where they
nest) in Newmarket
Purple Martin - Lots off Cross Beach Road in Seabrook at nest gourds
Tree Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow - 2 over Lamprey River in Lee
Bank Swallow
Barn Swallow
Black-capped Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
House Wren
Marsh Wren - Eel Pond
Eastern Bluebird
Veery
Wood Thrush
American Robin
Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing
Ovenbird
Northern Waterthrush - 1 off Ash Swamp Road in Newmarket
Common Yellowthroat
American Redstart
Yellow Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Pine Warbler
Prairie Warbler
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Nelson's Sparrow - 1 or 2 off Pollack Drive in Rye
Saltmarsh Sparrow - 2 at Philbrick Marsh in North Hampton, but no Nelson's.
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
Scarlet Tanager
Northern Cardinal
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Red-winged Blackbird
Eastern Meadowlark - Pease Tradeport
Common Grackle
Baltimore Oriole
House Finch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Dragonflies and Damselflies - 29 Species (31, 32, 25, 28, 25)
Ebony Jewelwing
Elegant Spreadwing - 1 caught
Variable Dancer
Powdered Dancer
Turquoise Bluet - I think!
Stream Bluet
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/42300178765/in/photostream/
Skimming Bluet
Lilypad Forktail - 1 at Eel Pond
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/41394311220/in/photostream/
Fragile Forktail
Eastern Forktail
Common Green Darner
Cyrano Darner - 1 at Love Lane in Rye.
Unicorn Clubtail - 1 at Rye Recreation area and another in Portsmouth
Prince Baskettail - 1 at Eel Pond
Calico Pennant - Just 1
Eastern Pondhawk
Seaside Dragonlet
Spangled Skimmer
Slaty Skimmer
Widow Skimmer
Twelve-spotted Skimmer
PAINTED SKIMMER - LOTS at Marsh Road Pond in Rye (but no Needham's
Skimmer).  Perhaps 8 to 10 or more.  More than I've ever seen in NH.
Typically a more southern species.
Blue Dasher
Spot-winged Glider - 10+ scattered along coast
Eastern Amberwing - Just 1
Common Whitetail
 Meadowhawk sp.
CAROLINA SADDLEBAGS - 1 off Arboretum Drive in Newington near (now
closed) pond where we've had them in the past.  Southern species that is
Uncommon and local in coastal areas of NH.
Black Saddlebags - A few

Butterflies - 14 Species (16, 14, 14, 13, 14)
Silver-spotted Skipper - 1
Least Skipper - 3 or so in one spot
Dun Skipper - I think!
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail - 3
Cabbage White
Clouded Sulphur - less than 10
American Copper - A couple
Gray Hairstreak - 1
Eastern Tailed-Blue - 3 or 4
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/42485504494/in/photostream/
Summer Azure - 2 or 3
Monarch - 2 or 3
Fritillary sp. - I think Great Spangled, but just brief looks
Pearl Crescent - 1 or 2
Common Ringlet - 1

Steve & Jane Mirick
Bradford, MA