Date: 7/4/18 4:22 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: Re: [COBOL] Ochoco Mtns: Buffleheads at historic nesting site (Crook),
Hi Chuck, Judy, & All,

Yes, I was referring to the way that the nesting range for Buffleheads
was described in the species account by Rachel White Scheuering in
"Birds of Oregon: A General Reference" (Marshall, Hunter, and Contreras,
OSU Press, 2003), or "BOGR" for short.

That species account mentions nesting sites in various lakes on the east
slope of the Cascades, and along the Little Deschutes River, then
states, "Perhaps the easternmost confirmed breeders were several broods
4 Jul 2001 on Hatfield L. east of Bend (J. Meredith, p.c.)." Then it
goes on to say, "Rare in summer away from breeding locations in the
Cascades."

To avoid confusion, perhaps I should have said, "away from the Cascades
or the east slope of the Cascades," rather than "outside of the
Cascades."

The location in the Ochocos that I mentioned, along with Delintment Lake
in NW Harney County where Nancy Stotz saw a brood this June (I'm not
sure if that report on OBOL made it to COBOL), both belong to the Blue
Mountains ecoregion according to the classification used by BOGR.

Redmond is pretty close to where the BOGR editors drew the boundary
between the Blue Mountains and the "East Cascades Slopes and Foothills"
ecoregions.I guess where you draw that line might be a bit arbitrary.

Happy birding,
Joel

On 07-01-2018, Judy Meredith wrote:

And there are small Bufflehead chicks on the first pond at Hatfield.
Anyone seen them at the back area also? But Joel may call this "the
cascades". I recall having breeding Buffleheads at Hatfield in past
years. Used to be easier to check the back pond when we had driving
access and limited birding time. Anyway, nesting, with chicks to prove
it at both Redmond pond and Hatfield Lake. All the broods seem to be 7
chicks with an adult female, no sign of adult males. Judy,
<jmeredit...>

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis