Date: 7/4/18 12:55 pm
From: Rebecca Suomala <rsuomala2...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Weeks State Park and Mt. Washington
Zeke Cornell and I joined Ann Griffin at 5:00 am this morning for a
"beat the heat" (sort of) walk up Weeks State Park in Lancaster, NH.
The road up the park opens at the too-late hour of 10:00 so we planned
to walk the 1.4 miles up. The early morning bird song was fabulous
with lots of species overlapping song when we first arrived, including
3 Purple Finch loudly burbling away. We had a total of 42 species.

Ann, the "Philadelphia Vireo whisperer" brought me to the spot where
she had one last weekend and there it was, singing away as if on cue,
giving us a nice view. We also had a second one about halfway up the
road.

A couple of other highlights included:

Mourning Warbler 2, both relatively closed to the parking area

Veery, Hermit, and Wood Thrush all singing

After this, Zeke and I went up the Mt. Washington Auto Road, starting
at 8:30 (road opens at 8:00). Again the bird song was better than
expected this "late" in the morning on a warm day in July. It was 69 F
at the summit at 11:10! Remarkable for Mt. Washington and close to a
record I think.

Highlights included:

American Pipit 3 - all near the summit

Boreal Chickadee 3 - my first on the Auto Road

Bicknell's Thrush 5 - none seen, just heard doing the "veer" call
above 4,000 ft.

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher 1

Blackpoll Warbler 9

Pine Siskin 3

Swainson's Thrush 10

Purple Fimch male fluttering at his reflection in the rear view mirror
of a road grader at mile 5.5

Surprisingly only 1 Magnolia Warbler.

A couple of possible Philadelphia Vireos were at a section of the road
where we could not pull off and I'm extremely hesitant to id this
species by call alone, they're too similar to the variable Red-eyed
for my ear.

A great birding expedition for a hot day in July.

The full checklists will be in eBird later.

Becky Suomala

Concord, NH

--
To Change your e-mail delivery settings (digest, daily, no mail)
visit: