Date: 7/4/18 10:53 am
From: Frank Vanslager via Groups.Io <Vanslagerf=<aol.com...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] A Non-Reportable? Black Swift at Alviso on 7/4/18
All:

At about 8 AM I was parked at Michigan and Spreckles in Alviso, and was just swinging my image-stabilized 10x binos up towards a perched peregrine when a dark swift flew into my field of view. It was a very large black bird and was mostly soaring, with only an occasional fluttery wing-beat, like a Purple Martin. I immediately rejected the martin because the sickle-shaped wings of this bird seemed to be larger than anything I'd ever seen before. For at least a half-minute the bird soared a large number of circles into the wind, staying mostly in the same area. I concentrated on looking, unsuccessfully, for any white in the side views, top views, bottom views, and tail view, which seemed to be mostly square.

Finally the bird zoomed out of view to the south. I continued to look, unsuccessfully, for any more swifts during the rest of my short morning outing.

Frank Vanslager