Date: 7/4/18 7:08 am
From: Gina Nichol via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Red-breasted Nuthatch, Pileateds, Coyote pups
Happy July 4th!
I caught up with some species in my CT Bird Atlas Block (96C) this
morning before it got too hot and humid. Interestingly, I had a
Red-breasted Nuthatch singing (again!). This is the third time I've
heard this bird in the same area. Since it has been more than a week
since I first heard it, I recorded it as "S7" in my atlas report (male
singing 7+ days). It was in some white pines. It will be interesting to
hear various perspectives on this. Is it a breeding bird or just on the
move?

Also, there was a pair of very agitated Pileateds in an area where I had
seen a Barred Owl previously but a Red-tailed Hawk called and caused
them to move. Field Sparrow and White-eyed Vireo earned their S7
status. And, I heard and then saw some Coyote pups. Fun morning!

EBird checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46981717

Gina Nichol
Branford, CT

Gina Beebe Nichol
Sunrise Birding LLC
Worldwide Bird Watching Tours & Wildlife Safaris
PO Box 274, Cos Cob, CT 06807
<gina...>
www.sunrisebirding.com
USA 203.453.6724