Date: 7/4/18 7:00 am
From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36...>
Subject: [texbirds] Eurasian collared dove population crash?
A couple of years ago I sort of noticed that there were not as many
collared doves around the smith point area. Did not see them crossing the
bay and places that had large numbers had fewer. Last summer there were
fewer but Harvey had something to do with it but did start checking other
spots. Numbers on Bolivar were down too as well as around the house.

This summer actually went and censused.

A few years ago I could see 10-15 male doves do their courtship flight over
voss and westheimer when I stopped at the red light. This year I see none.
The several pairs at the grocery store are gone except for one pair and
none have come by the feeder.

Numbers are down maybe 90% on bolivar based on general impressions rather
than ticked off numbers.

Had trouble finding more than single pairs at smith point Monday with none
at some points that used to have lots

This population drop has occurred over 3 summers in places where I go and
sort of count birds every week or at least very often year round. So it is
not just a local event.

Has anyone noted similar trends elsewhere. Similar population drops have
affected other invasive species after an initial great spurt in numbers as
predators and parasites bring the newcomer into control.

The changes at home have not affected the mourning dove and white-winged
dove numbers; if anything they are both up. Rock pigeons numbers are up
significantly on Bolivar in the same places that I noted collared dove
population decreases. And those two species do not compete for nesting
sites but perhaps for food.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston