Date: 7/3/18 1:29 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose, LaBagh & Techny North Tuesday 7-3-18
Hello Bird People,

This will be brief as I saw little today.

Montrose (6:15-9:15 a.m.)

Yesterday there were 3 migrant shorebird species reported from
Montrose which were Piping Plover, Willet & Semipalmated Sandpiper.
Sad to say the only one of the 3 that was still there today was the
Semipalmated Sandpiper, not the ones I had hoped for. Also had
Killdeer (with 4 small young) &
Spotted Sandpipers. The only Gulls were Ring Billed (lots) & Herring
(2). The only Tern was Caspian (4-5). Swallows were Tree, Bank, Rough
Winged, Barn & Purple Martin. The only land birds at the hedge area
were the expected regulars.

LaBagh (9:55-10:55 a.m.)

Tried again for a soaring Broad Winged Hawk but again did not find one.

Techny North Of Willow (11:55-12: 40 p.m.)

Numbers of shorebirds were up but the 4 species were the same as
yesterday. Species were
Killdeer (14), Spotted Sandpiper (22 including 5 without spots which
must have been young ones),
Solitary Sandpiper (2) & Least Sandpiper (4).

Also seen were D.C. Cormorant (3), Great Blue Heron (4), Great Egret
(1), Canada Geese (24)
& Mallard (37 adults & 8 small young ones). Lots of equipment cutting
grass & weeds here but the birds don't seemed bothered by it.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Semipalmated Sandpiper as it's the Least
Sandpiper that's expected this early. Runner-Up to the Solitary
Sandpipers. As I said it was a slow day.

Birds weren't much but License Plates stayed hot. Plate Of The Day to
one from Nevada, not as good as the last 2 days West Virginia & Rhode
Island, but almost.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>