Date: 7/3/18 11:40 am
From: Chris Elphick via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Connecticut Bird Atlas Off to a Good Start . . .
I want to thank Steve Broker for his excellent summary of where things stand with the atlas data collection (and for getting to one of the things on my to-do list before me, so that I can just cross it off!).

I also want to reiterate that the next month is prime data collection time for a breeding atlas.  July is often a month when we think of birding as being slow, and maybe even a little dull.  But, when I go out in the field I see recently fledged young everywhere and adults carrying food back and forth to nests constantly.  There are also plenty of birds that are embarking on second and third broods - I've seen robins, chipping sparrows, and orioles carrying nest material in the past few days.  So, the next few weeks are a great time to get out and confirm species that were maybe observed in suitable habitat, or heard singing, earlier in the year.  Or to quickly clock up a pile of confirmations in a block that no one has visited yet.
If you've already made great progress on your block, or just want a change of scene, find one of those blocks with no submitted data and spend a morning seeing what you can find .  Remember that you don't need to commit to taking on the block to go and collect some data there - even a single morning in an open block will likely add crucial information.  The online map currently shows only the results of eBird data submissions (and I'm a little behind on accepted all of those into the database - something I plan to rectify this week), so it will underestimate coverage.  But, it should provide a good guide to where we most need additional effort. Over the next couple of weeks I'm also hoping to find time to get back to blogging about things to look for during the last few weeks of summer and to present some additional early results.  But, the most important thing is to keep the data rolling in.

Many thanks to everyone's efforts on this project - it truly is a community effort ....
Chris
 Chris Elphick @ssts
Storrs, CT
<elphick...>