Date: 7/3/18 11:44 am
From: Christopher Loscalzo via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Tricolored Heron
We observed an adult Tricolored Heron fly away from the heron and ibis
nesting colony at Duck Island in Westbrook (it is ~ ¼ mile off shore, beyond
the Menunketesuck River mouth) this morning. There are several possible
explanations for its presence: it could be part of a breeding pair (wouldn’t
that be great!), it could be interbreeding with a Little Blue Heron (a
hybrid of this species has been observed at Hammonasset Beach SP the past
few years, so they could be interbreeding again), or it could be a
non-breeding individual just hanging out at the colony. We’ll give an
update if we see it again on any return trips we take to the island.
Observations are made from our kayaks. We also observed an adult Great
Black-backed Gull grab and devour a Glossy Ibis fledgling. Tough to watch.
The island is not only home to dozens of heron and ibis, but also to
numerous nesting pairs of Great Black-backed Gulls. It is remarkable that
these birds can coexist and breed on this relatively small island.

Chris Loscalzo and Marianne Vahey,

Woodbridge