Date: 7/3/18 7:57 am
From: David Irons <llsdirons...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Photo: Need help on identification
It is not a juvenile, as there are two generations of feathers. It’s too early for a juvenile of any shorebird that doesn’t breed locally. The only shorebirds that breed in the Willamette Valley are Black-necked Stilt, occasionally American Avocet, Killdeer, Spotted Sandpiper and Wilson’s Snipe and Wilson’s Snipe. It’s clearly none of those. This bird looks like a messy after hatch-year Least Sandpiper to me. I wonder if it is a first-summer bird that did not breed and summered in the area, as the plumage doesn’t look like that of a full adult. The flight feathers are faded and worn, perhaps retained from juvenile plumage.

Dave Irons
Beaverton, OR

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 3, 2018, at 6:40 AM, Jim Leonard <photojleonard...><mailto:<photojleonard...>> wrote:

I was at Taverner's Marsh along Coville Rd. ("The Narrows") at Baskett Slough NWR yesterday and photographed this young bird. I need help with identification. It was larger than a sandpiper. The water is getting low so some shorebirds are showing up. I photographed a Western & Least Sandpiper and some Greater Yellowlegs. Click on link below for photo. Thanks for your help. Photo by Jim Leonard.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/arDnZzhDVZ4CUxaw7

Join us on Facebook!