Date: 7/2/18 6:22 pm
From: kurtcapt87--- via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Upperville SE Blockbuster (Fauquier Co) Report, Saturday 30 June 2018
VA Birders,

Upperville SE Blockbuster (Fauquier Co) Report, Saturday 30 June 2018

13 people gathered for the Blockbuster - established Atlas hands Marc
Ribuado, Dave Larsen, David Ledwith, Carole Miller, Andy Martin, Jane Yocum,
Mary Ann Good, Dave Boltz, and Bill Parkin anchored the crew. Plus, we were
joined by two young birders and their parents (whose names escape me - my
apologies) who stuck it out to nearly the end! We ran 4 teams and delivered
a great punch - an increase of 14 species to the list of potential breeders
and a dozen more to the breeder pool (= probable plus confirmed species);
that's over a 20% improvement in both categories! Upperville SE is now
poised for completion, only requiring some nocturnal hours.

Highlight was undoubtably the female Summer Tanager David Ledwith found. An
unusual bird in the foothills of the northern Shenandoah/Blue Ridge.
Confirmation list highlights were American Kestrel, Killdeer, Red-headed WP,
Warbling Vireo, and Scarlet Tanager. Pine Warbler, Willow Flycatcher and
Yellow Warbler were notables for the Probable breeders. New additions to
the Possible breeder list such as Cooper's Hawk, RT Hummer, Worm-eating
Warbler, American Redstart, YB Chat, and Blue Grosbeak were most welcome.

It looks like one or two blocks in Culpeper - Richardsville SE and Germanna
Bridge SE (if we get enough teams) are the targets for Saturday July 8. We
can always use some help or another team - drops us line if you are
interested in joining. Thank you!

But, more importantly, a Special Thank You to the volunteers who came out to
Upperville SE last Saturday - a great effort that really made a difference.

Wishing You All Good Birds,

Linda Millington and Kurt Gaskill