Date: 7/2/18 3:05 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan, Illinois Beach South, State Line Beach & Techny North Monday 7-20-18
Hello Bird People,

Decided to make my 1st July run for shorebirds in Lake Co today but
all I found were Killdeer & Spotted Sandpiper. But I did better on the
way home at Techny North where a small part of the mud flat area is
back. Could not find any Piping Plovers at Waukegan.

Waukegan Beach (6:45-8 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (7)
Great Blue Heron (1)
Black Crowned Night Heron (1 young one)
Canada Geese (61)
Mallard (2-AD & 1-F with 7 young)
Killdeer (1)
Spotted Sandpiper (5)
Ring Billed (30) & Herring (10) Gulls
Caspian Tern (4)
Common Tern (8-10) (Colony seems to be doing o.k., Terns fly out to
complain when you are there)
Willow Flycatcher (1- calling)
Tree & Barn Swallows
Marsh Wren (H-2)
Brown Thrasher (1 singing)
Warbling Vireo (H-1)
Song Sparrow (2)
Red Wings (8-10)
Eastern Meadowlark (H-1)

Illinois Beach South Unit (8:30-10:15 a.m.)

(Beach Only)
Canada Geese (12) & Mallard (2)
Killdeer (6)
Ring Billed Gull (28)
Caspian Tern (4)
Bank & Barn Swallows
Red Wing (1-M)
Brewer's Blackbird (1 on the beach but 8 more inland)
Drone (1 being flown as part of a mapping project by 3 folks)

Land birds were just the regulars but of some interest were 4 Cedar Waxwings &
a singing adult ORCHARD ORIOLE which took a while to see.

State Line Beach (10:45-11:15 a.m.)

Only birds were Ring Billed Gulls (~250), Caspian Tern (1), Common
Tern (2) & Forster's Tern (1)

Techny North Of Willow (12:30-1 p.m.)

Only a little mud flat area here but on it were Killdeer (4), Spotted
Sandpiper (12)
Solitary Sandpiper (2) & Least Sandpiper (4) so I got a few shorebirds
after all.

Also here were D.C. Cormorant (3), Great Blue (1), Great Egret (1),
Caspian Tern (1) &
Barn Swallows. Singing were Song Sparrow & Red Winged Blackbird.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the adult male Orchard Oriole & Runner-Up to the
Forster's Tern.

After yesterday's West Virginia I had another very good one today
which was RHODE ISLAND
seen on Rt 41 going home. So that's Plate Of The Day.

Al Stokie
Mostly in Lake County today with a little Cook Co at the end

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: