Date: 7/2/18 2:02 pm
From: Joseph C. Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: 3-TERN MORNING IN THE VALLEY
Terns were active in the Arkansas River Valley this morning. Observing from the shoreline near the boat ramp at Frog Bayou Wildlife Management Area, I saw both Caspian (4) and Forsterís (7) Terns flying around in the big wide water area informally called Dyer Bay (a cut-off oxbow from the Arkansas River). I worked my way down river on farm roads and found a spot where I could set up a spotting scope. At this point I had a distant but fairly clear view of a sandy island out in the river where Least Terns sometimes nest. Perched on the shoreline in a loose flock: Caspian Tern (9) and Forsterís Tern (13). Flying around the island: Least Terns (at least 12).

Arkansas Game and Fish has an information sign at the Frog boat ramp about things we can all do to help in Least Tern recovery Ė mainly, donít disturb them in their nesting habitat out on these sandy islands. From what I could see through my scope, it looks like information signs have now been placed on the islands, too. This gives all of us a chance to participate in inland Least Tern recovery.

Also saw two adult Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks with 2 of the impossibly cute zebra-striped chicks. This was on a farm pond across from Alma Wastewater Treatment Facility.

Join us on Facebook!