Date: 7/2/18 1:33 pm
From: anneboby <00000038cbe79a41-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] hawk in the barn
Not a Sharpie/Swallow barn story, but a Sharpie/House Sparrow barn story of considerable intrigue involving a Kentucky Derby winning horse.

On 5/3/98 at my Adirondack camp at Jenny Lake near Corinth in Saratoga Co, NY, I banded an after-second-year male Sharpie which I recaptured three times that Summer on 6/27, 7/24 and 9/12, most likely a local breeder that liked the birds using my feeders. Five years later this Sharpie chased a House Sparrow into a barn and next morning, 3/23/03, after roosting in the barn flew into a window killing itself in an attempt to vacate the barn.

This barn was one of many on the McMahon Thoroughbred Farm near Saratoga Springs, NY which on 4/20/2000 happened to foal a horse named Funny Cide, sold as a 2-yr-old for $75,000, which went on to win the 2003 Kentucky Derby, the Preakness, came in 3rd in a sloppy wet Belmont, and failed to return to Saratoga for the Travers in Aug due to illness.

If you are a horse fan and want more info on Funny Cide (an extraordinary story), check him out on Wikipedia. As a bird fan, you never know what happens when a Sharpie chases a bird into your barn.

Bob Yunick
Schenectady, NY