Date: 7/2/18 12:49 pm
From: Janine Perlman <jpandjf...>
Subject: Cheryl and Norman Lavers' "100 Insects..." book
This is an overdue post in unreserved praise of a most wonderful book,
http://www.etaliapress.com/new-products/100-insects-of-arkansas-and-the-midsouth-portraits-stories.

The two hours it took me to savor it cover to cover were some of the
most enjoyable and compelling reading I can recall.  For those who
haven't yet read it, Norman and Cheryl have chosen representative
species from nine insect orders, and offer "portraits and stories" of
each.  The portraits are photographic and verbal, which, merging with
the stories, are riveting narratives that variously include habitat,
anatomy, life history, habits, reproduction, food, behavior, parasites,
and defenses against predators---a glimpse of each species' niche in the
larger ecology that is home to all of us.

Better informed thanks to the book, I'm noticing with new eyes and more
interest the insects I encounter every day.  The species described in
"100 Insects..." are generally representative of many related ones also
found in Arkansas, and I expect to continue to regularly use the book as
a reference.

The stories are not merely fascinating and brimming with the Laverses'
quiet passion for their subjects; they are also peppered with sly,
gentle, often self-effacing humor.  The reader ends up with much
affection, gratitude and admiration, for both the insects and the authors.

-Janine

Join us on Facebook!