Date: 7/2/18 10:11 am
From: Raven Watcher <ravenwatcher...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Kennebago/Rangeley/Mooselookmeguntic Atlasing
Hello All
Just spent a week Working (volunteering) on Maine’s Breeding Bird Atlas.
Have waited (impatiently) 20 years to do my second.

Highlights were Gray Jays in two family groups, confirmed Palm Warbler,
singing Tennessee and Cape May Warbler. Singing Yellow-bellied Flycatcher
in two blocks. Mourning Warbler in two blocks. Confirmed Merlin (with
young) diving on confirmed Northern Goshawk (carrying food).
50 species tallied in two blocks and entries in five other.
A little early for confirming warblers. Mostly singing makes and number
carrying food or doing distraction displays increasing as we left.
Fun time.
Have not tallied total species yet but since we were mostly in wooded
habitats and mostly out of cell phone range (a recent habitat indicator) we
were pleased at having only a few misses of expected birds. Something to
look forward to for next year now that I have scoped out habitats and
access in about ten blocks.
Consumer Reports validated this week our choice of Repel Lemon Eucalyptus
but you will still want to cover everything you can.

Confirmations of insect eaters up there should be easier this week from my
observations.

Dan Nickerson
Freeport
--