Date: 7/2/18 9:36 am
From: <coloradobirder...> [cobirders] <cobirders-noreply...>
Subject: [cobirders] Burrowing Owl Counting and Willet, and Northern Bobwhite [Weld]
Hi all

I got to experience Pawnee National Grassland in its true splendor on roads less traveled. I did Pawnee National Grassland-area Burrowing Owl counts a few times before (for myself) and did one over this past weekend (2 days). I visited about 30+ different "known" prairie dog locations. I think I will do these annually and open up as a field trip if others wish to participate in the fun. I'm building a map of Burrowing Owl locations to track "active" Burrowing Owl activity, post in few days.

This upcoming weekend I'll be out there again exploring the roads I did not get a chance to travel in both eastern and western Pawnee National Grassland sections.

Burrowing Owl - 116 seen in total Along the way ...
Chestnut-collared Longspur - ~12 (immatures, too) along Weld CR 45 just north of Weld CR 114 seen and heard. 3 heard at Weld CR 100 (1m west of) and Hwy 390 prairie dog colony. 2 seen along Weld CR 49 Fewer McCown's Longspurs seen--immatures, too
Tons of Grasshopper and Cassin's Sparrows heard and seen--one stretch I had 12 Grasshopper Sparrow sitting on (same) single fence line for photos
Nice-sized playa at Weld 141 and Hwy 14 NW had Willet (1), American Avocet (5) and Northern Pintail (2) Didn't see any Mountain Plover Over at Crom Lake had a Northern Bobwhite calling (from somewhere).

Photos (first 47): http://coloradobirder.club/m/photos/browse/album/Pawnee-NG-06-25-2017/

Thanks, Gary Lefko, Nunn
http://coloradobirder.club/ http://coloradobirder.club/

Join us on Facebook!