Date: 7/2/18 9:36 am
From: 'The \Nunn Guy\' via Colorado Birds <cobirds...>
Subject: [cobirds] Burrowing Owl Counting and Willet, and Northern Bobwhite [Weld]
Hi all

I got to experience Pawnee National Grassland in its true splendor on roads
less traveled. I did Pawnee National Grassland-area Burrowing Owl counts a
few times before (for myself) and did one over this past weekend (2 days).
I visited about 30+ different "known" prairie dog locations. I think I
will do these annually and open up as a field trip if others wish to
participate in the fun. I'm building a map of Burrowing Owl locations to
track "active" Burrowing Owl activity, post in few days.

This upcoming weekend I'll be out there again exploring the roads I did not
get a chance to travel in both eastern and western Pawnee National
Grassland sections.

- Burrowing Owl - 116 seen in total

Along the way ...

- Chestnut-collared Longspur - ~12 (immatures, too) along Weld CR 45
just north of Weld CR 114 seen and heard. 3 heard at Weld CR 100 (1m west
of) and Hwy 390 prairie dog colony. 2 seen along Weld CR 49
- Fewer McCown's Longspurs seen--immatures, too
- Tons of Grasshopper and Cassin's Sparrows heard and seen--one stretch
I had 12 Grasshopper Sparrow sitting on (same) single fence line for photos
- Nice-sized playa at Weld 141 and Hwy 14 NW had Willet (1), American
Avocet (5) and Northern Pintail (2)
- Didn't see any Mountain Plover

Over at Crom Lake had a Northern Bobwhite calling (from somewhere).

Photos (first 47):
http://coloradobirder.club/m/photos/browse/album/Pawnee-NG-06-25-2017/

Thanks, Gary Lefko, Nunn
http://coloradobirder.club/