Date: 7/2/18 7:51 am
From: Marlene A Condon via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] about disappearance of Tree Swallows in my area

Thanks so much to everyone who replied to my question about Tree Swallows.  No one reported around the state lower numbers of these birds, as is the case in my immediate area where there have been none since spring.

I'm thinking that the problem may have been a dearth of flying insects about the time the swallows moved through here in April.  Our area was especially hard hit by drought last year, which can seriously impact the breeding success and survival of insects.  For example, I had very few paper wasps flying this spring in my yard and very few nests built on my house as compared to previous years.  While some species of insects seem to be fine, others are quite limited in number this year.

If anyone has any other thoughts on the matter, I would deeply appreciate hearing them.  Thanks ever so much!

Gratefully,
Marlene